4 Amazing Tips for Purchasing a Great Bug Out Vehicle (BOV)October 17, 2016
8 Super Reliable Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) Maintenance TipsOctober 24, 2016
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Different Types of Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs) Have Different Advantages
There are many other preparedness items that you should look at before changing your Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV), but if you are going to anyways, let’s discuss the different types of vehicles that are great Bug-Out capable machines. There are always options, such as Four-Wheel Drive, that makes a vehicle better, but I am leaving the options out of this.
- Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
- Other Vehicle Types
Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) Provide All-Terrain Comfort
- Provide good all-terrain platform.
- The suspension: designed for and keeps passengers comfortable.
- The approach, break over, and departure angles are decent.
- Many times, trucks and SUVs share the same frame, therefor have similar frame strengths.
Trucks are Rugged All-Terrain Haulers
- Provide decent approach and departure angles, but not as well as many off road designed SUVs.
- Biggest Benefit: ability to provide torque for hauling large loads without expensive options.
- Designed to put a bunch of weight in the bed on the back of the truck.
- The drive train is usually a little stronger than most vehicles.
- Even though the suspension is many times stiffer than other vehicles, it is designed for all-terrain hazards.
Vans are Powerful, Comfortable, Weight Haulers
- Many vans are sitting on modified truck chassis.
- They are designed for a large family and all their gear.
- Meant for heavy weight and comfort
- People, Groceries, Sports Gear
- Family comfort for long trips with children
- All that weight plus an additional stack of luggage on the roof rack.
- Easily hauls 1500 pounds of people and gear.
- Work Vans Carry more, for heavy tools.
Recreation Vehicles (RVs) and Campers Carry Everything!
- Take everything I said about vans, and scale it way up.
- Powerful engines
- Designed to haul tons of weight.
- Have to carry everything, including the kitchen sink!
- Designed for a family to LIVE in it for short amount of time.
- This design makes a very attractive Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV).
- Both RVs and Campers provide you with an insane amount of space for storage.
- You would be able to store much of your bug-in food in them, meaning less time to pack and leave!
- It also means that you will have much more gear and comforts on the go.
Motorcycles are Nimble and Fast Personal Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs)
- Motorcycles are extremely nimble.
- If you are bugging out alone, this is a great option
- It is much more difficult to get stuck in traffic, which is super important!
- They also can generally travel faster, with higher acceleration capabilities than most vehicles.
- Road Bikes are more comfortable and carry more gear.
- Dirt Bikes or off-road bikes have the ability to go places that almost nothing else can go.
- They carry less weight though.
Boats Take You Off-Land, Where Few People Can Go
- This category is huge. What do you want to do? Just get across the river or live for weeks? There is a different boat for everything that you want to do.
- Just for travel use a simple john boat or bass boat.
- They can hold a lot of gear and can quickly get you to your Bug-Out Location (BOL).
- For living for a while on a boat, there are house boats, ocean-going vessels, and even tug boats.
- You can get to deeper water for fishing, get way out of dodge, and live away from most people.
- Just be aware that pirates DO exist.
Other Creative Vehicles You Probably Didn’t Think About
I could call anything a vehicle. I would never finish the list if I kept adding to it.
Here are a few creative items that you may not have thought of… within reason.
- Bicycle, Road Bike, Mountain Bike
- All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), Four-Wheelers, Three-Wheelers
- Road Trikes
- Superlight Aircraft
- Manual Powered Boats, Kayaks, Canoes
Get a Vehicle that Will Support Your Needs
Every type of automobile will have advantages and disadvantages for use as a Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV). Determine which ones are most important to you, and you will easily be able to sift through all of the choices.
Enter and Win!!!
Enter the challenge for:
- 13 Different Adventures to try
- A way to put enjoyment back in life
- Cool Tips and Tricks for future adventures
- Entry into our Yearly Giveaway