- Although I said that I am going back to the basics, I haven’t done all of the podcasts ahead of time, so if there is a basic item you want me to consider in this mini-series, I will consider your input. Just email me.
- There has recently been a board added to Top Survival Forum where you can discuss Prepper Podcast Episodes. Check out the Prepping Forum.
- Don’t forget to give me a review at theprepperpodcast.com/itunes and you could win a consulting call with me. (You must email me with subject: Podcast Review so I can contact you… This includes any past or new reviews if you want to be able to win.)
- Last weeks winner is twinkletwinkletoes
News in 2 Minutes with J. Bradbury of PreparePDX.com
Getting Started in Prepping P1: An introduction to the basic steps of preparing
Why should we prepare ourselves?
One word: DISASTERS.
Storms, Tornados, Hurricanes floods, Fires
Fights, Mugging, Burglarly, War, Nuclear
Your personal The End of the World as We Know It (TEOTWAWKI)
Job Loss, Family Death, EMPs, Nuclear Attack, Economic distress, Viral Outbreaks, Volcanic Eruption, Celestial Impact
Prepping doesn’t have to be expensive. The most important steps are free!
You will notice as we go through many of these steps in the beginning stages of prepping, you don’t have to spend money. You just have to use your brain a lot and spend TIME to do so.
Follow these Simple Steps, and You Will Be Solid in Your Prepping Journey?
Step 1: Join a Community
You can learn from others, or teach others
Try out a Survival Forum. You can join Top Survival Forum.
Step 2: Make List and Lists of Lists. When you think you are finished, make more lists.
All of the steps are important but this is most.
List are your roadmaps.
Stop and assess the situation.
Lists Such As:
- Survival Needs (Your basic needs)
- Food Log (watch what you eat)
- Water Resources (What is available, what COULD be available)
- Disaster Lists
- Every Day Carry List (EDC List)
- Lights Out Kit List, Black Out Kit List, or Storm Kit List
- Emergency Action Plan (Steps you will take in an emergency)
- Bug out List (early BOB list and BOL list)
- Medical First Aid and Minor Surgery List (you can piece this together from home)
- I have a free training for first aid kits that I will discuss when I get to this
Step 3: Find all of your Camping Gear and Reorganize
Camping gear is awesome for early survival gear. You will at least get through a week with it.
Step 4: Make a Basic Black Out Kit, Lights Out Kit, or Storm Bag
Purchase and collect stuff around your house to help during a black out. Short Term items.
Step 5: Determine the contents of your bug out bag
This is organizing what you have, not purchasing anything. You wont have everything, but you will have some items.
Step 6: Determine your Bug Out Location
This is where you take action on the list you created. You will figure out where you can go and work on an agreement with others to allow this.
Step 7: Work on your Lists you have Created
This is where money will start flowing. Remember to stick to a budget so you don’t go broke. Learn skills for the different survival needs as well.
Step 8: Learn How to Research
Learn the best places to get information. Know what is important. Understand that EVERYONE is biased in their opinions and have an agenda.
Locals, Forums, Websites (Especially mine) are great for getting information. I have a search bar on my website where you can type almost anything and get answers. Most do.