Best Hikes Near BostonMarch 12, 2020
Just How Warm Is That Sleeping Pad?March 20, 2020
Looking for ways to entice kids outside to take in some fresh air and burn off some surplus energy? An outdoor scavenger hunt is a timeless classic.
Depending on the age of your kids and how many are participating, you can make it a friendly competition, or perhaps just come up with some rewards for completing the hunt (some screen time, coins or dollar bills, etc.)
How it works:
- Print out a copy of the list for each participant. Use the items on the list or modify them as you see fit.
- If you have little kids, simply have them point out what they find and mark off the items on the list. Maybe restrict the hunt to the backyard to keep it simple.
- For older kids, you might give them access to a camera and have them take photos of their finds. You might give them more leeway to explore around the block or farther afield.
- For neighborhood hunts, consider adding bonus points for trash picked up. (If you do this, adults should supervise and make sure this is done safely and trash or recycling is disposed of properly. )
- Be sure kids don’t trespass on private property.
- Observe one of the principles of Leave No Trace: Leave what you find.
Click here to download our printable scavenger hunt.
The post Outdoor Scavenger Hunt appeared first on REI Co-op Journal.
This post was published on REI-Hiking first, and we delivered it to you as news for your convenience.
To subscribe to more awesome posts, like this one, subscribe to the News RSS Feed.