4 Amazing Tips for Purchasing a Great Bug Out Vehicle (BOV)October 17, 2016
8 Super Reliable Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) Maintenance TipsOctober 24, 2016
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Different Types of Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs) Have Different Advantages
There are many other preparedness items that you should look at before changing your Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV), but if you are going to anyways, let’s discuss the different types of vehicles that are great Bug-Out capable machines. There are always options, such as Four-Wheel Drive, that makes a vehicle better, but I am leaving the options out of this.
- Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
- Other Vehicle Types
Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) Provide All-Terrain Comfort
- Provide good all-terrain platform.
- The suspension: designed for and keeps passengers comfortable.
- The approach, break over, and departure angles are decent.
- Many times, trucks and SUVs share the same frame, therefor have similar frame strengths.
Trucks are Rugged All-Terrain Haulers
- Provide decent approach and departure angles, but not as well as many off road designed SUVs.
- Biggest Benefit: ability to provide torque for hauling large loads without expensive options.
- Designed to put a bunch of weight in the bed on the back of the truck.
- The drive train is usually a little stronger than most vehicles.
- Even though the suspension is many times stiffer than other vehicles, it is designed for all-terrain hazards.
Vans are Powerful, Comfortable, Weight Haulers
- Many vans are sitting on modified truck chassis.
- They are designed for a large family and all their gear.
- Meant for heavy weight and comfort
- People, Groceries, Sports Gear
- Family comfort for long trips with children
- All that weight plus an additional stack of luggage on the roof rack.
- Easily hauls 1500 pounds of people and gear.
- Work Vans Carry more, for heavy tools.
Recreation Vehicles (RVs) and Campers Carry Everything!
- Take everything I said about vans, and scale it way up.
- Powerful engines
- Designed to haul tons of weight.
- Have to carry everything, including the kitchen sink!
- Designed for a family to LIVE in it for short amount of time.
- This design makes a very attractive Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV).
- Both RVs and Campers provide you with an insane amount of space for storage.
- You would be able to store much of your bug-in food in them, meaning less time to pack and leave!
- It also means that you will have much more gear and comforts on the go.
Motorcycles are Nimble and Fast Personal Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs)
- Motorcycles are extremely nimble.
- If you are bugging out alone, this is a great option
- It is much more difficult to get stuck in traffic, which is super important!
- They also can generally travel faster, with higher acceleration capabilities than most vehicles.
- Road Bikes are more comfortable and carry more gear.
- Dirt Bikes or off-road bikes have the ability to go places that almost nothing else can go.
- They carry less weight though.
Boats Take You Off-Land, Where Few People Can Go
- This category is huge. What do you want to do? Just get across the river or live for weeks? There is a different boat for everything that you want to do.
- Just for travel use a simple john boat or bass boat.
- They can hold a lot of gear and can quickly get you to your Bug-Out Location (BOL).
- For living for a while on a boat, there are house boats, ocean-going vessels, and even tug boats.
- You can get to deeper water for fishing, get way out of dodge, and live away from most people.
- Just be aware that pirates DO exist.
Other Creative Vehicles You Probably Didn’t Think About
I could call anything a vehicle. I would never finish the list if I kept adding to it.
Here are a few creative items that you may not have thought of… within reason.
- Bicycle, Road Bike, Mountain Bike
- All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), Four-Wheelers, Three-Wheelers
- Road Trikes
- Superlight Aircraft
- Manual Powered Boats, Kayaks, Canoes
Get a Vehicle that Will Support Your Needs
Every type of automobile will have advantages and disadvantages for use as a Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV). Determine which ones are most important to you, and you will easily be able to sift through all of the choices.