Herbalism Tinctures: Recipes, List of Herbs, Herbal Healer SolutionsDecember 4, 2013
Types of Cured Meat, Preserving Meat with Salt or Brine CureDecember 9, 2013
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
I answer the question,” What is a backup emergency generator?” I explain to you how to choose one for your standby power generation.
More information on this topic may be found on my Survivalist Blog, post Choosing a Generator for Your Home Generator.
Housekeeping: Go to ITunes and leave me a review and comment. Also you can subscribe on Stitcher Radio
Call in number is (978) KNOWS-IT, (978) 566-9748
- First, What loads are in your house? You want to size your generators for this.
- Generator Load Ratings
- 2000/3000 Watt means 2000 continuous and 3000 peak
- Most typical homes can use a 5000 watt generator and run most loads
- If you do it correctly you can run most everything on 2500 Watts.
- Load Rotation
- Load reduction
- LED Christmas lights
- hand-cranked blender
- a French press
- Small heating or cooling of individual people
- Cooking with propane, gas, or alcohol stoves, burners, and grills.
- 2 Watt LED Bulb
- 7.5 Watt LED Bulb
- A decent fridge can be turned on for a couple of hours and then shut off most of the day, as long as it is kept closed. Same with freezers.
- Generator Price: Typically 7-10 dollars/watt.
- Permanent, PTO mounted, portable models… There are others as well.
- Portable Generators are cheaper that permanent ones
- Natural Gas Generators ($1.50 – $2 cheaper per gallon for similar power output)
- Generac and Champion are both decent brands.
- 4000 Watt 7HP Generator
- 7000 Watt 13HP Generator
- 10000 Watt 16HP Generator
- Consider a basic DC-AC inverter first.
- Connecting it:
- Gen-Cords vs. Power Transfer Systems
- Grounding your generator is important
- Things to use with your generator:
- 100 foot 12/3 Extension Cord
- 50 foot 12/3 Extension Cord
- 3 Way T-Shaped Grounded Splitter (The one I was talking about)
- 40 Foot 30Amp Power Cord for up to 7500 Watt Generators
- Gen-Cord or Generator Power Cord with 30 Amp Twist-Lock Male and 20 Amp 120V Female
- Generator Power Cord Inlet Box (Not for Amateurs)
- 60 Amp Transfer Switch for up to 15000 Watt Generators (Not for Amateurs)
Tools or Appliances Running Watts -Surge Watts
What is a Backup Emergency Generator, Choose one for Standy Power Generation
- Cell Phone Battery Charger 10 -0
- Christmas Lights (50-string, small) (RV/Camping/Tailgate) 20- 0
- Laptop Computer (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 75- 0
- PDA, iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Cell Phones 80 -0
- 13-Inch TV (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 100- 0
- Outdoor Buglight (RV/Camping/Tailgate) 100- 0
- AM/FM Radio / CD Player 100- 0
- 20-Inch Box Fan 200- 0
- Video Game Console 200- 0
- Crockpot (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 250- 0
- Desktop Computer 300- 0
- TV/DVD Combo (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 300- 0
- Refrigerator – Dorm Size (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 350 -500
- Food Processor/Blender (RV/ Camping/Tailgate) 350- 500
- Small Power Tools; Electric Drill 3/8-inch, jig saw…) 440- 600
- Color TV 27-Inch 500- 0
- Frying Pan / Skillet (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 600- 0
- Refrigerator / Freezer 600- 2200
- Microwave Oven 750W 750- 800
- Single Element Hot Plate (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 750- 0
- Washing Machine 750- 2300
- Coffee Maker (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 800- 0
- Sump Pump 800- 1400
- Toaster – 2 Slot (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 850- 0
- Furnace Fan Blower ½ HP 875 -2300
- Griddle/Deep Fryer (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 1200- 0
- Toaster (Home/RV/Camping/Tailgate) 1250- 0
- RV Low Profile Air Conditioner, 13,500 BTU – Heating 1600 -2300
- Circular Saw 1500- 3000
- Space Heater 1800- 0
- Electric Range 2100 -0
- Electric Water Heater 4000- 0
Call to Action: iTunes and Research your personal power requirements for a generator.